Reducing Water Waste in Automatic Irrigation Systems
- 20% of Colombians live in rural areas in poverty and most depend on agriculture for their livelihoods
- Agriculture is a critical part of Colombia’s GDP, growing 2% in the first trimester of 2018
- 70% of the hydraulic resource in the world is used for agriculture
- Enable low cost communication without excessive use of energy by using the Zigbee protocol to communicate and control sensors and actuators.
- Determine when to irrigate by using gradient boosted trees and random forests with significant data points.
- Optimize use of hydric resource with drip irrigation systems.
- Use mqtt for sensor networks protocol (MQTT-SN) to efficiently communicate via Zigbee.
- Four participating students
- Creating a research team focused on the Internet of Things and machine learning
- Designed and implemented an open source automatic drip irrigation system